3 February 2020
II-VI showcasing portfolio of product and technology innovations at Photonics West and BiOS Expo
In booth #1427 SPIE Photonics West 2020 and in booth #8131 at BiOS Expo (part of Photonics West) at the Moscone Center in San Francisco (1-6 February), engineered materials and optoelectronic component maker II-VI Inc of Saxonburg, PA, USA is exhibiting products and capabilities for diverse markets, including communications, materials processing, life sciences, automotive and consumer electronics:
- High-speed datacom VCSELs on 150mm GaAs technology platform: II-VI’s high-speed vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs) developed for data-center transceivers are now available on its scalable 150mm gallium arsnide (GaAs) platform to meet the expected high-volume demand for optical HDMI cables.
- Water-cooled aluminium variable radius mirror (VRM) for 20kW lasers: II-VI’s new VRM is water-cooled to enable laser processing heads to achieve a power rating of 20kW and above. The VRM is made of aluminium, which is 80% lighter than comparable copper and stainless-steel solutions. VRMs enable laser processing heads to precisely maintain the focal point of the laser beam on the workpiece by adjusting the mirror’s radius of curvature.
Also, participating in the Lasers & Photonics Marketplace Seminar (presented by Laser Focus World in cooperation with SPIE) are the following II-VI representatives.
- Dr Giovanni Barbarossa, chief strategy officer, II-VI Inc, and president, Compound Semiconductors, in the Executive Panel ‘The Global Photonics Marketplace–Key Trends, Markets, and Technologies’ (11:10am, 3 February);
- Dr Karlheinz Gulden, VP, Laser Devices & Systems business unit in the Sensors and Sensing Panel ‘VCSELs vs Edge-Emitters and the Race for New Applications’ (4pm, 3 February).
II-VI is also participating in a special presentation hosted by the University of Arizona’s Wyant College of Optical Sciences:
- Dr Julie Sheridan Eng, senior VP & general manager, Optoelectronic and RF Devices business unit, in Influencing the Future ‘3D Sensing Market and Technology’ (7:30am, 4 February, W San Francisco Hotel).
Conference papers presented by II-VI include:
- Polarization-Stable 940nm VCSELs for Sparing (Invited Paper) – by Petter Westbergh, Sonia Quadery, Haiquan Yang, Hao Chen, Frank Flens, Richard Chan and Tsurugi Sudo of II-VI and Dan Kuchta of IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center;
- OPTO 2020 – Vertical-Cavity Surface-Emitting Lasers XXIV - Session 3: ‘High-Speed VCSELs’, Commercial Paper 11300-11 (1:40-3:10pm, 5 February);
- Directly Modulated Lasers for 100 Gbaud Nyquist PAM4 Transmission (Invited Paper) - by Yasuhiro Matsui, Roberto Rhode, Ferdous Khan, Martin Kwakernaaka and Tsurugi Sudo of II-VI, Di Che, Sethumadhavan Chandrasekhar, Junho Cho, Xi Chen and Peter Winzer of Nokia Bell Labs in the USA, and Ricard Schatz of KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden.
- OPTO 2020 – Novel In-Plane Semiconductor Lasers XIX - Session 6 ‘Datacom and Telecom’, Paper 11301-25 (3:40-5:30pm, 4 February).