18 March 2021
GaN Systems launches smallest 100W charger reference design
GaN Systems Inc of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (a fabless developer of gallium nitride-based power switching semiconductors for power conversion and control applications) has released what it claims is the industry’s smallest 100W dual USB-C intelligent PD GaN charger.
The turnkey reference design achieves what is reckoned to be the highest power density of any 100W charger on the market, while also having smart features. The charger can balance and appropriately power a variety of plugged-in device power-level combinations from a single 100W device, two devices at 65W and 30W, or two 45W or 30W devices. Additionally, when the power draw is below a certain threshold, the charger shifts to a higher efficiency mode to further maximize performance and reduce energy loss.
Available now, the charger reference design includes prototypes and documentation (schematics, PCB layout, bill-of-materials, and design guideline) to shorten design cycles and speed up product launches.
The 100W charger reference design uses GaN Systems’ GS-065-011-1-L transistor, with the following key features:
- ultra-high power density (>16W/in3 with case and foldable prong);
- flexible and smart power distribution (Dual USB-C ports to support universal USB-C protocols and flexible plug-in end devices);
- peak efficiency (>92.5%);
- exceeds EN55032 Class B with >6dB margin;
- meets safety IEC62368-1 touch temperature requirement; and
- meets IEC61000-3-2 for power line harmonics with power factor correction (PFC) circuit.
“Consumers have spoken, and they want GaN chargers. 65W was the start and now everyone wants 100W and multiple ports,” says CEO Jim Witham. “Our design, validated by leading customers, is the highest-performance, smartest and smallest charger design that gets customers’ products to market in record time.”