8 March 2018
Mellanox surpasses 1 million 100Gb/s ports with LinkX optical transceivers and cables
© Semiconductor Today Magazine / Juno PublishiPicture: Disco’s DAL7440 KABRA laser saw.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd of Sunnyvale, CA, USA and Yokneam, Israel (a supplier of end-to-end InfiniBand and Ethernet interconnect solutions for data-center servers and storage systems) says that its volume shipments of LinkX optical transceivers, active optical cables (AOCs) and direct attach copper cables (DACs) have surpassed 1 million 100Gb/s QSFP28 ports.
Already offering what is claimed to be one of the industry’s largest portfolios of interconnect products, Mellanox expanded its 100Gb/s LinkX product family to include: a DynamiX QSFP-to-SFP port adapter; a line of 100Gb/s active optical splitter cables; and new optical transceivers for 1310nm PSM4, CWDM4 and LR4.
“Our early 100Gb/s sales were driven by US-based hyperscale companies who were the first to deploy 100G Ethernet,” says Amir Prescher, senior VP of business development & general manager of the interconnect business. “Now, China Web 2.0, Cloud computing networks, and OEMs worldwide are moving to 100G. Customers select us because of our high-speed experience, our capacity to ship in volume, and the quality of our products,” he adds.
“We see rapid growth in the 100Gb/s optical transceiver market continuing through at least 2021,” comments Dale Murray, principal analyst at LightCounting Market Research. “400Gb/s networks are coming, but there is plenty of headroom for 100Gb/s products until the deployment of end-to-end 400G Ethernet can be realized.”
Mellanox is exhibiting its new 100G and 200G/400G LinkX products in booth 1801 at the Optical Networking and Communication Conference & Exhibition (OFC 2018) in San Diego (13-15 March).
The booth will also feature demos of its new LinkX products including:
- 200Gb/s in the QSFP56 form factor;
- 400Gb/s in OSFP and QSFP-DD form factors;
- full line of 100Gb/s transceivers for hyperscale and data-center applications;
- LinkX 25G/50G/100Gb/s DAC and AOC cables and 100G SR4, PSM4, CWDM4 and LR4 transceivers;
- active optical breakout cables from 100Gb/s to 4x25Gb/s and 2x50Gb/s;
- DynamiX, to convert any QSFP port to support a SFP DAC, AOC or transceiver;
- new Quantum switches with 40 ports of 200Gb/s QSFP56 in 1RUchassis;
- new ConnectX-6 adapters with two ports of 200Gb/s QSFP56; and
- a live demo with Ixia 400Gb/s QSFP-DD ports showing backward compatibility with 200Gb/s QSFP56 networks.