27 February 2018
Skyworks launches SkyOne LiTE front-end for LTE mobile devices
© Semiconductor Today Magazine / Juno PublishiPicture: Disco’s DAL7440 KABRA laser saw.
In stand I-2 (hall 2) at the Mobile World Congress (MWC2018) in Barcelona, Spain (26 February – 1 March), Skyworks Solutions Inc of Woburn, MA, USA (which makes analog and mixed-signal semiconductors) has launched SkyOne LiTE, a highly integrated front-end solution for LTE mobile devices.
Building on the firm’s proven SkyLiTE architecture, the new platform incorporates power amplifiers, proprietary duplexers and innovative switching technology to support complex carrier aggregation combinations in a much reduced form factor. The systems also include a diversity receive front-end module and high linearity antenna switches to further improve functionality. The SkyOne LiTE family is said to decrease development time for smartphone manufacturers.
With the increasing demand for feature-rich mobile phones utilizing full-screen displays, dual cameras and seamless multi-tasking capabilities, handset OEMs across the mobile ecosystem are faced with balancing the constraints of RF operation and industrial design, says Skyworks. To address this need, SkyOne LiTE delivers what is claimed to be best-in-class transmit and receive performance while reducing the footprint by more than 20%. With two variants, the pin-to-pin solution supports 10 bands for North America and 12 bands for Europe and Asia Pacific.
The SkyOne LiTE family supports carrier aggregation with switch hexaplexer functionality while delivering higher power, lower insertion loss and reduced current consumption. The platform includes the following options:
- SKY78185-11/21 – low-band front-end modules with 2G/3G/4G power amplifiers (PAs) for LTE applications that include four duplexers and are designed for use in all regions;
- SKY78187-11 – a mid- and high-band front-end module with 3G/4G PAs for LTE applications that integrates five duplexers and one TDD filter and is designed for North America;
- SKY78188-11 – a mid- and high-band front-end module with 3G/4G PAs for LTE applications that uses four duplexers and four TDD filters and is designed for Europe and China;
- SKY96500-11 – LTE diversity receive module with a MIPI RF front-end interface; and
- SKY13698-694LF – double-pole, double-throw antenna swap switch.
“Skyworks’ newest connectivity solutions are enabling next-generation, value-oriented smartphones with the most advanced wireless architectures,” says Reza Kasnavi, VP & general manager, Open Market Platforms for Skyworks. “SkyOne LiTE embodies our close collaboration with partners and customers to significantly push the technology envelope and simplify the design process with fully integrated modules.”
According to a 2017 report from Accenture, developing markets are expected to account for 75% of all smartphone sales in 2018 and will be the engine for overall market growth. This reflects consumers’ growing demand for upgraded handsets that include enhanced entertainment and media features, productivity and gaming experiences.