16 February 2018
Navitas showcasing GaNFast power ICs at APEC
© Semiconductor Today Magazine / Juno PublishiPicture: Disco’s DAL7440 KABRA laser saw.
As a ‘Diamond’ sponsor at the Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC 2018) in San Antonio, Texas (4-8 March), Navitas Semiconductor Inc of El Segundo, CA, USA is showcasing both its own gallium nitride (GaN) power ICs as well as GaN-enabled power systems in a private demo suite and on the exhibition floor (booth #1341).
“Many commercial uses of GaNFast Power ICs are rapidly advancing,” says chief technology officer/chief operating officer Dan Kinzer. “We are pleased to demonstrate how monolithic GaN integration has overcome both engineering and commercial hurdles to enable a new class of high-frequency, high-efficiency & high-density power systems.”
At APEC, Navitas is showcasing how its latest GaNFast devices and reference designs achieve what is claimed to be unprecedented small size, low weight and high efficiency levels, with fast-charging speeds for end-products ranging from smartphones and tablets to laptops, monitors and gaming systems. Last September, Navitas launched what is claimed to be the smallest 65W USB-PD laptop adapter reference design, supporting the size and weight reductions demanded by consumers.
“This is a dynamic time for Navitas and the industry, as GaN power systems graduate from academic curiosity to real-life commercial applications,” says Stephen Oliver, VP of sales & marketing. “Navitas will showcase a new series of GaN platforms that are the result of close collaboration with our customers and partners.”
At APEC, Navitas will present or be featured in the following conference papers and events:
- 6 March (8:30am, room 206) - Paper 1180 ‘GaN Power ICs Enable Breakthroughs in Adapter Performance’ by Dan Kinzer (Navitas);
- 6 March (5pm, room 217D) - Rap Session 1 ‘Biggest Impact on Power Consumption—Devices or Magnetics?’ (moderator: Kevin Parmenter, VP of applications engineering, Excelsys) by Dan Kinzer (Navitas);
- 7 March (2:20pm, room 214A) - Paper 1736 ‘A Single-Stage Bi-directional Dual-Active-Bridge AC-DC Converter Based on Enhancement Mode GaN Power Transistor’ by Tianxiang Chen, Ruiyang Yu, Qingyun Huang and Alex Q. Huang (University of Texas, Austin);
- 7 March (2pm, room 214B) - Paper 2018 ‘Design Considerations of Highly-Efficient Active Clamp Flyback Converter Using GaN Power ICs’ by Lingxiao Xue and Jason Zhang (Navitas);
- 7 March (2:20pm, room 214B) - Paper ID#: 1171 ‘Design Consideration of Active Clamp Flyback Converter with Highly Nonlinear Junction Capacitance’ by Pei-Hsin Liu (Texas Instruments);
- 8 March (8:30am, room 206) - Paper ID#: 1179 ‘GaN Reliability Through Integration and Application Relevant Stress Testing’ by Nick Fichtenbaum (Navitas).