15 March 2017
GigPeak showcasing live demos addressing growth in cloud and networking services
In booth #3231 at the Optical Fiber Communications Conference & Exhibition (OFC 2017) in Los Angeles (21-23 March), GigPeak Inc of San Jose, CA, USA (formerly GigOptix) - which provides integrated circuits and software solutions for high-speed connectivity and high-quality video compression over the network and the cloud - is showcasing products that address the massive growth in the data-center and telecom markets. GigPeak’s latest solutions help to solve the challenges associated with the continuously increasing requirements for higher densities and greater speeds as cloud and networking services become centeral to consumers’ lives.
Specifically, new 200G PAM4 vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs) and directly modulated laser (DML) driver devices increase the optical networking bandwidth density and will be used in 200G and 400G applications. They also offer what is claimed to be the best power dissipation in the market, as well as automatic power control, programmable CTLE (continuous time linear equalization) equalization, and OTP (over-temperature protection) for calibrating over-temperature.
The firm is also highlighting 100G LR transmitter optical sub-assembly (TOSA) and receiver optical sub-assembly (ROSA) reference designs, in partnership with Shijia Photons Technology.
Finally, GigPeak is demonstrating a 64Gbaud quad-channel linear optical modulator driver in a 14mm x 9.1mm surface-mount technology (SMT) package for 400G/600G coherent applications.
GigPeak’s datacom demonstrations will include:
- HXT14400 – a 4-channel 200G PAM4 VCSEL laser driver designed to enable a doubling of the data rate from 100G to 200G within the same form factor and foot print.
- HXT14100 – a 1-channel 200G PAM4 VCSEL laser driver designed to enable a doubling of the data rate from 100G to 200G within the same form factor and foot print.
- HXT44400 – a 4-channel 200G PAM4 DML laser driver designed to enable a doubling of the data rate from 100G to 200G within the same form factor and foot print.
- HXT44100 – a 1-channel 200G PAM4 DML laser driver designed to enable a doubling of the data rate from 100G to 200G within the same form factor and foot print.
- HXT42400 in TOSA reference design – a 4-channel 100G NRZ DML laser driver in a 100G transmitter optical sub-assembly designed to enable customers to build their own TOSA by following GigPeak’s reference design.
- HXR42400 in ROSA reference design – a 4-channel 100G LR TIA in a 100G receiver optical sub-assembly designed to enable customers to build their own ROSA by following GigPeak’s reference design.
GigPeak’s telecom demonstrations will include:
- GX66471 – a 4-channel 64Gbaud driver, for linecard and pluggable module vendors to bring 400/600G products to the telecom market.
200G PAM4 VCSEL and DML driver live demo
For 200GbE SR4 and LR4 applications, the 200G demonstration will showcase the soon-to-be-production-released HXT14400 VCSEL laser driver and HXT44400 DML laser driver combined to deliver 200Gbps of throughput using 28GBaud PAM4 technology. The performance for each of the devices is optimized to deliver error-free performance with PRBS traffic across the fiber. It highlights the ability of the VCSEL laser driver HXT14400 to transmit optics for VCSEL-based applications, such as 200GBASE-SR4. A second demonstration showcases the ability of the DML laser driver HXT44400 to transmit optics for 200GBASE-LR4 applicatons. Both devices are readily available for evaluation on an evaluation board in single- and quad-channel configurations.
100G TOSA/ROSA live demo
GigPeak will also demonstrate its reference designs for optical sub-assemblies for 100GbE LR4 applications, utilizing the in-production HXT42400 laser driver and HXR42400 TIA ICs. The 100G demonstration will showcase the ability of the combined devices to deliver 4 x 25.78Gbps over more than 10km of single-mode fiber. The TOSA and ROSA designs are optimized to help users build their own TOSA and ROSA to achieve vertical integration for the 100G LR modules. The optical sub-assemblies use Shijia Photons Technology’s TOSA/ROSA design and packaging capabilities. The partnership with Shijia allows both ease-of-evaluation and ready availability of the designs. The samples are available on an evaluation board with a convenient digital user interface, and quick module-level design and integration. Samples are also available in die form for users wishing to evaluate the DML driver and TIA in their own platform. GigPeak will also be sampling 56Gbps PAM4 DML drivers and TIAs in die form, as well as Shijia-manufactured TOSAs and ROSAs, available in second-half 2017.
Linear optical modulator driver live demo
The GX66471 64Gbaud quad-channel linear optical modulator driver in a 14mm x 9.1mm SMT package for 400G/600G coherent applications has differential input and single-end output interface with a 4.5Vpp output voltage swing, which is suitable for driving the LiNbO3 Mach-Zehnder modulator. The live demonstration will show the time-domain output waveform with 64Gbaud PAM4 modulated signal, corresponding to an electrical domain signal to convert a 16QAM optical signal in succeeding optical modulators.