15 March 2017
GaN Systems demonstrating wireless power transfer and commercial power modules at Electronica Shanghai
In booth #E4.4212 at Electronica China 2017 in Shanghai (14-16 March), GaN Systems Inc of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada – a fabless developer of gallium nitride (GaN)-based power switching semiconductors for power conversion and control applications – is giving live demonstrations of commercial systems that use GaN transistors in a variety of wireless charging and power module applications. The event also showcases customer-built, commercial systems that use GaN transistors to power a diverse range applications, including DC/DC converters, energy storage systems, and electric vehicle (EV) traction inverters.
Among the new systems enabled by GaN transistors demonstrated by GaN Systems are:
- a wide range of high-power modules using GaN Systems’ transistors (from Sharp, Hivron and Semi-Powerex) delivering what is claimed to be best-in-class GaN electrical and thermal performance, including half-bridge modules with and without drivers, as well as full-bridge modules;
- a 12kW Stop-Start Generator for 48V hybrids from EGTRONICS (reckoned to be 5x smaller and 12% more efficient than generators made using silicon transistors); and
- a best-in-class 70W AirFuel-compliant wireless transmitting platform from Gill Electronics capable of charging multiple phones, pads and laptops that is scalable and adaptable for use in toolboxes, factory robots etc.
In addition, also on display are newly commercialized GaN-transistor-powered devices, including:
- demonstration boards from leading semiconductor partners (Analog Devices, Linear Technology and Peregrine Semiconductor);
- a 3-phase motor controller that operates at optimal efficiency;
- a universal motherboard and daughterboard platform for easily evaluating GaN transistor performance in any half-bridge-based topology;
- a highly efficient 3kW power factor correction (PFC) reference design and full documentation for GaN Systems’ GS66516T transistors; and
- GaN-based motor drives for various applications ranging from 1.5kW to 30kW.