21 September 2016
Oclaro demos 400GBASE-LR8 CFP8 transceiver over 10km single-mode fiber
In booth #384 at the European Conference on Optical Communications (ECOC 2016) in Düsseldorf, Germany (19-22 September), Oclaro Inc of San Jose, CA, USA (which provides components, modules and subsystems for optical communications) is showcasing a live demonstration of a 400GBASE-LR8 CFP8 optical transceiver operating over 10km of single-mode fiber. Featuring a small 40mm x 102mm x 9.5mm form factor, the new CFP8 module delivers four times more bandwidth than existing 100G solutions, enabling Oclaro to meet the explosive demand for higher data rates between router and transport 400G client-side interfaces in core networks.
"As the first optical company to demonstrate a CFP8 design, we have once again leveraged our proven leadership in delivering volume CFP modules, and our world-class expertise in photonics integration and cooled 1310nm 28Gbps EA-DFB [(electro-absorption distributed feedback)] laser technologies," claims Yves LeMaitre, president, Optical Connectivity Business at Oclaro. "As we continue stretching the limits of core optical technologies, this expertise will be critical for moving the industry forward and providing the higher bandwidths required in future networks."
The 400G CFP8 transceiver provides a dense-port and high-throughput solution with compact size and low power consumption. It leverages proven technology from Oclaro's earlier CFP, CFP2 and CFP4 designs, including cooled 1310nm 28Gbps EA-DFB laser technology, an integrated TOSA and ROSA, and a 28Gbps 4-channel integrated PIN-PD (photodiode) array. Additional features include the following:
- compliant with 400GBASE-LR8 optical and CDAIU-16 electrical interface specifications that are under final standardization process by the IEEE 802.3bs task force;
- fully integrated 8l x 53.125Gb/s optical transceiver module modulated using the 4-level pulse amplitude modulation (PAM4) format;
- consists of 1310nm-wavelength EA-DFB laser diodes, driver ICs, PIN photodiodes, transimpedance amplifier (TIA) ICs, optical multiplexer/demultiplexer and a PAM4 to NRZ encoder/decoder and SerDes integrated digital signal processing (DSP) IC with a 16-channel x 26.5625Gbit/s electrical interface;
- conforms to CFP8 hardware specifications for mechanical dimensions, connectors and footprint; and
- features a power supply voltage of +3.3V and is hot pluggable in the Z-direction by a 124-pin connector.