19 September 2016
Mellanox and Oclaro team to connect 100Gb/s PSM4 silicon photonics to next-gen 25Gb/s LR transceivers for servers and storage
Mellanox Technologies Ltd of Sunnyvale, CA, USA and Yokneam, Israel (a supplier of end-to-end InfiniBand and Ethernet interconnect solutions and services for data-center servers and storage systems) has teamed up to seamlessly connect its 1550nm PSM4 transceivers with the 1310nm LR (long reach) SFP28 transceiver line of Oclaro Inc of San Jose, CA, USA (which provides components, modules and subsystems for optical communications). The solution enables the linking of servers, storage and network appliances to network switches, and demonstrates the transparent interoperability between transceivers of differing wavelengths.
In booth 124 (Hall 3) at the European Conference on Optical Communications (ECOC 2016) in Dusseldorf, Germany (18-22 September), Mellanox is giving a live demonstration of the solution, connecting its 100Gb/s PSM4 1550nm transceivers to four of Oclaro's 1310nm LR SFP28 transceivers over 10m of single-mode fiber, connecting Mellanox 100Gb/s Spectrum Ethernet switches to 25G/s ConnectX-4 Lx network adapters.
"Customers select PSM4 transceivers because they provide the most cost-effective Ethernet links for reaches of 100m to 2km," says Amir Prescher, Mellanox's senior VP of business development. "We teamed up with industry leader Oclaro to demonstrate that PSM4 transceivers, with fiber breakout cables, can connect directly to four separate SFP28 LR transceivers. This enables next-generation servers and storage appliances to be located anywhere in the data center or even across campus," he adds.
"This illustrates the strength of our transceiver design as being capable of interoperating at multiple wavelengths," says Yves LeMaitre, president, Optical Connectivity business at Oclaro.
Mellanox's ECOC booth is also featuring live demonstrations of the entire LinkX interconnect product portfolio linking Mellanox 100Gb/s switches and high-speed servers, including:
- SN2410: 48-port 25GbE + 8-port 100GbE open Ethernet top-of-rack switch;
- SN2100: half-width 16-port non-blocking 100GbE open Ethernet switch;
- ConnectX-4 single and dual port network adapters in 25/50/100G combinations;
- 25/50/100G direct attach cables (DAC) and active optical cables (AOCs);
- 25G SR and 100G SR4, multi-mode transceivers;
- 100G LR4 10km, 1310nm, single-mode transceiver;
- 100G PSM4 2km, 1550nm, silicon photonics single-mode transceiver; and
- 100G WDM4 2km, 1550nm, silicon photonics single-mode transceiver.
Also at ECOC, Mellanox is giving the following presentations:
- 'Silicon Photonics Optical Engines for 400G/800G Cobo on Board Optics and Next Generation Pluggables'; and
- 'Next Generation Ultra-Broadband Silicon Photonics-Based Integrated Circuits'; and
- 'Bringing Technology to Market'.