Temescal

Semigas

CLICK HERE: free registration for Semiconductor Today and Semiconductor Today ASIACLICK HERE: free registration for Semiconductor Today and Semiconductor Today ASIA

Join our LinkedIn group!

Follow ST on Twitter

IQE

18 November 2016

Usage of LED chips in TV backlighting to grow slightly in 2017

The volume of LED chips used in TV backlighting globally will increase slightly year-on-year in 2017, with usage of Ultra HD, HDR and quantum dot models rising while direct-type backlights, OLED and the adoption of flip-chip LED backlighting falls, according to Digitimes Research.

The increase will come mostly from Ultra HD TVs, because such models will comprise 36.5% of all LCD TVs to be shipped in 2017 (rising 11.6 percentage points year-on-year) and an Ultra HD TV uses 30-50% more LED chips than a Full HD TV, Digitimes Research notes.

HDR and quantum dot TVs will contribute only slightly to the increase as their shares of 2017 shipments will be less than 5% each, although they use many LED chips.

Direct-type LED-backlit TVs will see major reductions in the use of LED chips in 2017, and they will comprise 64% of all LED-backlit TVs (the remaining 36% will be edge-type). In addition, the adoption of flip-chip LED devices will also reduce the use of chips in TV backlighting.

Finally, the impact of organic light-emitting diode (OLED) TVs on the LED backlighting sector will be minimal, notes Digitimes Research, since such TVs will comprise only 0.72% of shipments.

Tags: LED market LED backlighting LCD TVs

Visit: www.digitimes.com/news/a20161116PD205.html

Share/Save/Bookmark
See Latest IssueRSS Feed

AXT